Reading is Sexy

Friday, May 05, 2006

IPOD-induced memories

Since I can’t seem to think of much to say these days that doesn’t involve reality TV, I’m borrowing from someone far more witty and original than I. Dooce put her IPOD on shuffle the other day and wrote about the first 10 songs that popped up. Here is my less witty variation on the same theme.

Luka, by Suzanne Vega: I remember the first time I heard this song, I thought it was the dumbest song I ever heard. I was about 17 and I was semi-mentally retarded, which most 17-year-old girls are. I believe I said something like, “What the hell kind of name is Luka, and why do I care if she lives on the 2nd floor?” before I put in my trusty New Order tape. These days, however, I find Suzanne Vega’s voice so beautiful and Luka’s story is so touching and mysterious (do we know if Luka is a battered adult or child? Being beaten by a parent or a husband?), that I list it as one of my favorites.

The Strangest Party, INXS: Um, has anyone ever heard of this song before?. It’s on the Greatest Hits Album and I had never heard it before. Is this a bonus track or something? This song is so lame and over-produced that I can’t even really hear Michael Hutchence’ voice. I think I must fast forward.

Don’t Change, INXS:
Ok, so much for “shuffle.” Another INXS song. But it’s ok, because this is one of my FAVORITE INXS songs from the Shabooh Shabah album. This song was pre-Listen Like Thieves so they were still pretty unknown. I heard this album for the first time at Deanna’s house when I was probably 15. Her sister Shannon was listening to it and since I thought Shannon was, like, the coolest person EVER, I bought the tape and wore it out. This song is fantastic. The way he sings, “Things have been dark for too long” makes me love him all over again, even though he has been dead for really long time.

Possession, Sarah McLachlan: Oh god, I love this song. I’m not sure I believe Sarah’s unwavering story that the lyrics to this song were entirely written by a man that was stalking her. I mean, that stalker would have to be one HELL of a writer, but whatever, I’ll forgive her anything because this song is fantastic. It’s even better live, but this is the version from Fumbling Toward Ecstasy. This CD was pretty much the soundtrack of my sophomore year in college. I think I had three versions, one for my car, one for my room in my apartment and one for my walkman for school. I was never without Sarah. Hmmmm, maybe I was the one stalking her……

I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, Rattle and Hum live version: I’m on a pretty good roll here. This is another oldie but goodie. I bought the Rattle and Hum soundtrack with Kelly my senior year of high school. I was still in the semi-mentally retarded phase of my life, so I’m pretty sure I was wearing all black and not talking to my mother for some reason. But at least I had the good sense to recognize that adding the Voices of Freedom gospel choir to a song only adds to its listen-ability. I get sad when I listen to this album b/c I remember how great U2 used to be before Bono became the media whore that he is today. Or maybe he was a media whore in 1988 too, but I was just too retarded to know it.

Need you Tonight, INXS: WHAT THE HELL? What is going on with all the INXS? So, this video was the first time I really understood what a sexy bitch Michael Hutchence was. I got a tingly feeling “down there” the first time I saw him in those tight black pants. It was this song, or more accurately, this video that launched a period of my life I like to refer to as “Kirsten’s INXS Invasion”. If it wasn’t INXS, I wasn’t listening to it. The INXS Invasion lasted pretty much until I discovered that there a lot of sexy bitches at my high school that I could obsess over who might actually talk back to me on the quad. Not that any of them did, but a girl could (and did) dream.

Pretty Piece of Flesh, One Inch Punch: I have no idea who these guys are, but this song was on the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack. It has an awesome bass line. I listen to this song at the gym all the time on the treadmill because it pumps me up. Oh that’s right…..I said “pump.”

Hotel California, The Eagles: Yes. I like the Eagles. Shoot me. And I love this song. This song reminds me the trips I would take to Palo Alto to see my sister. I would roll up all the windows and attempt to harmonize with Don Henley. You do it too. Don’t lie.

I Love Rock and Roll, Joan Jett: Do I need to even say it? Because you know you want to belt it out: “And has was with me, YEAH, me……” You know she was only about 17 when she wrote this lovely ballad about picking up a boy in a bar and taking him home for a one night stand? SO ladylike.

Testosterone, Bush: I bought this album, well, pretty much because Gavin Rossdale is really pretty. But, I’ll be honest…..Bush SUCKS. I mean, is he really singing about being “big into war” and being a “big old whore” just because it rhymes? Oh Gavin. Just shut up and have lots of pretty kids with Gwen. And try to talk her into less make-up. Because you can’t possibly like her wearing all that shit on her face. Right?

1 Comments:

At 3:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home