Reading is Sexy

Monday, August 14, 2006

An Amendment.

So, in re-reading my post and getting the tiniest rash of shit from Boyfriend and my sister.....I will acknowledge that PERHAPS I sound a little bitter toward men. (And since I just heard that Boo’s boyfriend is a reader of this site……let me assure Boo’s ex-boyfriend that I didn’t pee on his sofa……that was a joke...)

Dear Readers…..let me assure you, I’m not bitter toward mean. I love men. Boyfriend is a wonderful man. The BEST man. My father is an excellent man. My sister married a good man. I work with some lovely men. A lot of my friends are married to awesome men.

I am, however, bitter about Break-Ups. I’m over bad break-ups and they way men behave during breakups. Here are a few break-up stories from my closest girlfriends.

1. One friend was abandoned at a restaurant during a break-up. Her boyfriend just went to the bathroom and never came back. He called her from a cab and broke up with her while she was receiving her entrée.
2. Another friend received a text message in the middle of the night while she was sleeping that it “just wasn’t working.”
3. Another friend was told by her boyfriend’s *friend* that her boyfriend was moving to New York (already had his apartment and plane ticket) and he hadn’t told her.
4. One friend’s husband left her because he was having an affair. The catch was that he denied having the affair and told her it was over because my friend was “too superficial.”
5. One girlfriend’s boyfriend called her from a bar and notified her that being around the really cute girls in the bar made him realize he wasn’t attracted to her anymore.
6. One girlfriend was forced to break-up with her boyfriend after she walked in to his bedroom and found him receiving a blow job from the neighbor.
7. One friend was broken up with on a Post-It……wait, no, that was Carrie Bradshaw.

Do you see where I’m going? I just don’t understand why these men, who are by all other accounts good, attentive boyfriends, must behave so badly during break-ups. (I know, I know, women behave badly too, but I’m a woman and today I’m representin’.) Is it so far from the realm of possibility to treat the break-up with the same level of respect as the relationship? Is that too much to ask?

I’m frustrated that my girlfriends going through this. I’m tired of seeing my girlfriends become more and more gun shy and more and more reserved in their approach to dating because they have been hurt. I am bummed out that my single girlfriends are fantastic, beautiful women and they are forced to date not-so fantastic men. I’m annoyed because I know A LOT of single, fantastic HOT women, and not one single man to set them up with.

So, no…..not bitter. Just fed up.

4 Comments:

At 6:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot the fat bald guy who was in $200k worth of debt who broke up with me over e-mail.
oh, boys, will they ever learn....or will we?

 
At 9:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I don't think you were bitter. I mean, you have odes to your boyfriend on this very site. You were being empathetically supportive to a girlfriend whose breakup was tough. That's called nice. :)

 
At 12:34 PM , Blogger kirsten02 said...

I don't remember the balding fat man....please refresh my memory?

 
At 11:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I love men! But I wnated to add a rant to your open letter, because you could have also addressed the subject of "after breakup behavior" as well. Such as why men feel the need to provide ex-girlfriends with updates on the new women in their lives. For example, a friend who recently received an e-mail from an ex informing her that he was engaged less than a year after their breakup, to a woman he had been dating for six months OR the friend that received an e-mail from her ex-boyfriend of five days informing her that he was seeing someone new and that "they were getting along quite well." The later friend's boyfriend had broken up with her inside the relationship about six months before he infomred her too! R

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home