Reading is Sexy

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Review: Breakup Babe: The Novel

I tend not to buy “chick lit” books. Not because I’m above it or anything (believe me, I have read Bridget Jones Diary and The Devil Wears Prada and enjoyed every delightful page) but I usually think that my friends and I are way smarter and funnier than most of the women in chick lit books, so I usually don’t even bother.

But I picked up this book b/c I was getting on a plane and I needed something silly to keep me interested for 5 hours.

Color me hooked.

It’s not Pulitzer-prize material or anything, but it’s some good stuff, people. Here’s the nutshell……Rachel gets dumped by her boyfriend of 2 years, who just happens to work down the hall from her, and begins to blog about her experience getting over him.

Rachel's experience pretty much includes drinking too much wine, taking a lot of much-needed antidepressants and sleeping with too many inappropriate men.

Sound familiar? Been there, done that? Well, I have. Ok, I only slept with one inappropriate man (shhhh, my sister and Boyfriend read this site). But this book is relate-able. I mean, what woman HASN’T gone on the heartbreak diet after a break-up and thought to herself, “Ok, so I’m possibly going to die hopelessly alone but GODDAMN if my ass doesn’t look good in these size 4 jeans”?

What I liked about this book is that Rachel does move on, she does learn a few things about herself and she never gets preachy or annoying in her break-up process. This book could have easily moved into the “I am Womyn, hear me roar” realm, but she manages to stay humble and humorous at the same time.

UPDATE: In the couple hours that I wrote this review, I got a text from a very close friend that she and her long-term boyfriend just split up and it just breaks my heart.

Boo, if you are reading this, I’m so sorry and we are going to do whatever we can to get you feeling better. I’m putting this book on your required reading list, along with frequent walks in GG park, dinners with the girls and a lot of trips to Sephora. Hang in there, my good friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home