Reading is Sexy

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Review: Daughter of Fortune

As I mentioned earlier, I was really hesitant to read “Daughter of Fortune”, by Isabel Allende. My reasons are all equally lame. I didn’t like the cover. It was too expensive. It had an Oprah Book Club imprint on it. The last reason, and the real reason I didn’t want to read it was b/c I didn’t like the movie version of “The House of the Spirits” and I was convinced I didn’t like Allende’s work.

That’s right. I wouldn’t read anything based on a movie. That I saw in college. Twelve years ago. When I was drunk.

I’m happy to report that I’m an Allende Convert. I just did a little Google…..did you know she lives in the US and speaks perfect English, but writes ONLY in Spanish? Did you know her uncle was Salvador Allende, former president of Chile, who was murdered in a coup? Did you know that she doesn’t write any outlines for her books, she just takes notes on random pieces of paper, tickets stubs, napkins, etc., and spreads them all on a table and then writes her drafts from beginning to end?

I think that is amazing, considering how complex and convoluted the degrees of separation between the characters in Daughter of Fortune.

Long story short, and without giving away the ending…….Eliza is the adopted Chilean daughter of Miss Rose Sommers and her two brothers John and Jeremy, three English immigrants living in Valparaiso, Chile in the mid-19th century. Actually, Eliza wasn’t officially adopted, she was left on the Sommers’ front step when she was just days old and the family raised her as a European young woman.

At 16, Eliza has an affair with Joaquin Andieta, an employee at her uncle’s company. Andieta, however, has dreams of panning for gold in California and boards a ship destined for San Francisco, leaving Eliza heartbroken. Soon after, Eliza realizes she is pregnant and, enlisting the help of a Chinese cook named Tao Chi ‘En, stows away in the ships hull for two months so she can join Andieta in California. Eliza and Tao (who is actually a physician) develop an unlikely and deep friendship. (Chinese and Chileans did not normally mix and mingle).

Upon reaching San Francisco, Eliza treks up the California “mother lode” from San Francisco to Sacramento, in search of Andieta. Along the way, she poses as a Chinese boy and befriends a traveling brothel, who becomes her temporary family.

Andieta proves elusive and after a while, Eliza returns to San Francisco to her friend Tao and becomes his roommate, his best friend and his assistant in his practice, while still posing as a boy.

…..And that is just about half of the story. Characters are introduced and surface in the most unlikely places several years later. Everyone is connected in the most strange and bizarre ways. In addition, Allende describes the Gold Rush in a way that most history books do not, from the eyes of the Chileans, the Mexicans, the Chinese, the prostitutes and the madams who all immigrated to California to get rich quick or die trying.

I highly recommend this book for book clubs. I could talk about this book for days.

5 Comments:

At 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats what you get for judging a book by its cover. Just imagine all of the things we miss out on because of bad assumptions.

I always assumed I wouldn't like anything on Irving Street because, well, it was in the Sunset. And the Sunset is just sooo foggy. Yeah, good reasons. I was recently dragged (not really, but sounds better) there by Ms. Blogger herself, and of course I loved it. But I digress...

I'm glad you liked your book, but unfortunately I will probably not ever give it a read because it sounds like there is absolutely no science fiction in it. :)

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger kirsten02 said...

where did we go in the sunset? I can't remember.

 
At 6:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bar on Irving street where Fluffy was doing her 'I was all, like, yeah, and she was all..., and I was like, Dur'. Then just the two of us went to that place that had great food and a tree growing in the middle of the dining room. We sat in the back near the kitchen, you had to go get the car because i was on crutches in the rain...

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger kirsten02 said...

Dude, you are so funny sometimes. Makes me smile.

 
At 10:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here speakunique.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Are you really serious about your weight?. Recent Research shows that about 90% of all United States grownups are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home